TakaTaka Solutions is a Kenyan waste management company (‘takataka’ means ‘waste’ in Kiswahili). TakaTaka is active in waste collection, sorting, composting, plastic recycling, and buying back waste from waste pickers. With its integrated model, TakaTaka has the following impact:
- Offers affordable waste collection services to all income areas;
- Recycles >90% of collected waste;
- Creates jobs, especially for women and youth, in a safe, healthy and environmentally adequate environment;
- Reduces greenhouse gas emissions by reintegration of recycled fractions into the product value chain;
- Contributes to a cleaner and healthier environment in Kenya by state-of-the-art waste collection, processing, and onward sales of waste;
- Increasing agricultural soil fertility by providing compost (through processing of biological waste).
TakaTaka Solutions was founded in 2011 to work towards a systemic solution for the waste management problems in Africa. We have since developed to become the largest waste management company in Kenya. We are currently active in five aspects of waste management: waste collection, waste sorting, composting, plastic recycling, and buying waste materials from waste pickers. We now serve more than 20,000 households and handle 70 tons of waste per day. Our average rate of waste separation is above 90%, which is one of the highest recycling rates in the world. We operate a composting facility, three sorting sites, a recycling plant, and two waste buy-back centers. We employ over 350 staff.
We are looking to achieve the following in the mid-term (next two years):
- Start a hazardous and sanitary waste business unit by operating a hazardous waste incinerator;
- Start a recycling plant for flexible plastics;
- Grow our geographic footprint to 6 counties, including Mombasa.
In the long-term (3+ years) we are looking to:
- Open up our sorting plants to third-party waste collectors;
- Start partnerships with municipalities;
- Expand to other East African countries.
Main Target Group
Households, apartments, businesses (malls, schools, hotels, retail, etc.), industrial, recycling industries, local plastic manufacturers, farmers (small- and large-scale), urban households, and waste pickers.
Our waste collection service is for any type of waste producer. Our sorted recyclables are used by third-party recycling industries. Our processed plastic materials are used by local plastic manufacturers to make new plastic products. Our compost is used by Kenyan farmers to improve their soil fertility and we also sell compost to urban households. We work with waste pickers by buying sorted waste materials from them.
Price (in USD)