What we should know about you
Questions answered by Lieselotte (Lisa) Heederik, Director & Founder
1. What was a troubling time that you managed to overcome?
In our early stages, we did not look enough at cash flows and cash flow predictions which made our company almost crash. When we just on boarded our first investors we did not have a clear idea of their role and how they would like to be informed. In dealing with investors and other share/stakeholders, it is best to inform them of bad news before it happens. If the bad news is a surprise, share it right away to protect trust.
2. What drives you personally to keep your social business running?
What really motivates me is the energy that is created when a prospective client decides to buy a water filter and the moment she realizes that a water filter can make her life easier and healthier. Our water filters are a significant expenditure for our target market. Low-income consumers will not spend $30 USD on something they do not really want. Therefore, I consider every sale as proof of quality.
3. What recommendation would you give to someone who thinks about starting a social enterprise?
Forget about profitability or sales numbers per se. The first thing you need to monitor in your company is cash and cash flows. Keep a very strict eye on your cash flow every day. Or, love your cash flow more than your mother (in law).
- Miller Center Social Enterprise Excellence Award 2022
- National Energy Globe 2017
- Ashden Award 2016
- Tech Award for Technology Benefiting Humanity 2013
- epAward Best Practice 2012