What we should know about you
Questions answered by Mohammad Kilany, Chairman
1. Imagine yourself/yourselves 5 years ago in comparison to the situation you are in today. Which achievements surprise you the most?
Two things have surprised me:
- Government entities adopting the technology, because governments are usually the last to try new things!
- Global recognition! We knew we were doing something right when we received heart-warming comments on the mobile app from grandparents and mothers in the USA, when we were invited for a round table meeting with Mark Zuckerberg, or winning awards from Siemens Stiftung, Seedstars in Switzerland or K-Startup in South Korea were all achievements that led us to eye opening experiences and interactions with new cultures.
2. What was a troubling time that you managed to overcome?
Getting our first paying customer was really hard, but the most troubled time was when we almost ran out of cash in 2018. We had to take corrective action four months before reaching that point by reducing our expenses and lowering compensation packages and working hours until the storm had passed. It wasn’t easy but we had a solid team who believed in what we were doing and chose to take part in the journey.
3. What recommendation would you give to someone who thinks about starting a social enterprise?
Give first, even if sometimes you receive nothing in return. We have an old Arabic Bedouin saying in Jordan and the rough translation goes something like this: “you can never truly repay the one who gave first”. In the Arab world, if someone offers help to you first, even if you give back to them, still, you do not repay them completely.
This applies to doing business as well. One must be well-acquainted with the culture here (and anywhere, obviously) to be able to do business. Having local strategic partners in new markets will give insights to better understand your audience. That’s probably your best advantage in turning your social enterprise into a sustainable one.
- epAward Winner 2019
- Facebook Developer Regional and Global Awards
- Seedstars Public Vote Award
- Sheikh Salem Subah Al-Ali Award
- MIT Pan Arab Forum
- K-Startup Grand Challenge
- AIM Startup
- Gitex Future Stars
- Get in The Ring