What we should know about you
Questions answered by Grant Gibbs, Founder & Executive Director
1. Imagine yourself 5 years ago in comparison to the situation you are in today. Which achievements surprise you the most?
After 27 years of manufacturing and marketing the Hippo Roller I am very pleased that my sons, who have grown up with the Hippo Roller all their lives, are now actively involved in helping to grow the business internationally.
2. What was a turning point in your career as an entrepreneur / for your organization?
Having started in the IT sector, I was unfulfilled and was looking for something with more purpose in life. Founding the Hippo Roller has given me that purpose and has been incredibly rewarding.
3. What drives you personally to keep your social business running?
Our cause’s by-line is: “Simple ideas. Changing lives.”. I am constantly on the lookout for appropriate solutions for challenges faced by rural and impoverished communities. These ideas must be simple and must change lives.
- Cullinan Design Award – SABS Design Institute – 1992
- Design for Development – SABS Design Institute – 1997
- INDEX Design Award 2005 – Copenhagen
- FROST & SULLIVAN 2016 – African Rural Portable Water Solutions | Product Leadership Award
- CNBC AFRICA AABLA 2018 – All Africa Business Leader Awards | Innovator of The Year Finalist
- GLOBAL SDG AWARDS 2018 – Sustainable Development Goal 6 – Water & Sanitation | Winner